The Muscoda Police Department, located at 206 N. Wisconsin Ave., has served the residents of the Village of Muscoda since the Village’s incorporation in 1894. The Police Department currently consists of a Police Chief, two full time officers, and up to 5 part time officers. The Muscoda Police Department does not provide 24 hour service and when Muscoda Officers are not on duty the Village is served by the Grant County Sheriff’s Department and the Iowa County Sheriff’s Department. The Muscoda Police Department has been contributing Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) data since 2015. This information may be viewed at www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/bjia/ucr-arrest-data
In addition to general police duties the Muscoda Police Department also provides the following services;
- Vehicle unlocks within the Village
- After signing a liability waiver Muscoda officers will attempt to gain entry into your locked vehicle free of charge.
- Motor Vehicle Registrations and Renewals
- Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 3:30pm you may register your vehicle or renew registrations at the police department. A counter fee of $19.50 for registrations and $6.00 for renewals is charged by the online company used for this service.
- Court Process Service
- The Department serves civil process papers to residents that live within the Village of Muscoda for a fee of $40.00.
- Prescription Drug Dropbox (Located in Village Hall)
- A drop box for unused medication is located next to the police department in Village Hall. The drop box is accessible Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm. Liquids and needles may not be put in the drop box. To dispose of needles and or liquids you must contact the police department to give those items to an officer in person. You do not need to be a resident of the Village in order to utilize the drop box.
- Unused Ammunition
- Unused ammunition may be turned into the police department, in person, for destruction at the Crime Lab.
- Gun Locks
- Gun locks are provided free of charge while supplies last.
- Fingerprinting services are done free of charge, by appointment, as long as you provide the fingerprint card. Please call the police department at 608-739-3144 to set up an appointment.
- Residence Checks
- Officers will provide security checks of residences during extended vacations. A security check form must be filled out and turned into the police department.
- CounterAct Program
- The Muscoda Police Department teaches the CounterAct program to Riverdale 5th graders. The CounterAct program is a prevention program designed to bring together schools, families, and police departments to serve as a source of support to encourage children to make healthy behavior choices.
The Muscoda Police Department is always looking for qualified Police Officers to work on a part-time basis. To apply please submit a Cover Letter, Resume, and DJ-LE330 to Chief Bill Schramm, PO Box 192, Muscoda, WI 53573.
Use of Force Policy
In order to comply with Wisconsin State Statute 66.0511, Muscoda Police Departments Use of Force Policy may be viewed here; Muscoda PD Use of Force Policy