Muscoda Utilities disconnects services for (delinquent) past due balances on utility bills in all rate classifications. In accordance with PSC 113.0301(9), a utility shall give customers at least 20 days from the issuance of the utility bill to provide payment. After the 20 days, an account may be deemed delinquent and a utility can prepare and mail a disconnection notice. This notice must give the customer at least 10 calendar days to provide payment prior to disconnection. Call 608-739-4617 once you’ve received this notice if:
- You dispute the delinquent account; wish to negotiate a deferred payment plan agreement (DPA) **; have qualifying medical concerns (A medical alert form will need to be completed and returned.) Or if there are any other extenuating circumstances.
The utility attempts to call customers who have not paid their past due balance or made a DPA, the day prior to disconnection, as a reminder that services are scheduled to be disconnected. (Please make sure we have your correct phone number on file.)
Partial payments will not refrain from services being disconnected unless there has been prior approval from the utility.
DPA (Deferred Payment Arrangement)
- 50% of the account/s balance is due upon making an arrangement and the customer must sign an agreement.
- Remaining balance must be paid in installments no less than monthly and fully paid within 90 days.
- The DPA amount is to be made along with the current monthly bill on or before the current bills due date.
** DPA’S are NOT OFFERED to a residential customer who is a TENANT/RENTER if any of the following criteria applies:
1. The residential tenant has greater than $100 of account arrearages that are more than 90 days past due for utilities that bill monthly.
2. The tenant has defaulted on a (DPA) deferred payment agreement in the past 12 months.
3. The residential tenant is responsible for account arrearages that were placed on any property owner’s tax bill in the utility’s service territory in the past 24 months.
4. The residential tenant has a balance that accrued during the winter moratorium that is more than 80 days past due.
You may appeal to the staff of the Public Service Commission (PSC) at 1-800-225-7729 if an agreement cannot be made.
You will be considered in default and the DPA cancelled if the payment is not made by the due-date, is less than the agreed amount, or is returned / declined by the bank. If this happens, the full past-due balance is due to refrain from disconnection of your services.
There is an additional $40.00 charge for each service to be reconnected.